Friday 18 October 2013

Max Boyce at Shrewsbury

MAX BOYCE at Theatre Severn Shrewsbury Friday 18th October 2013.

Having enjoyed Max Boyce's records, television shows etc for a great number of years and been in his company on Celebrity Golf Events I decided that it was time I saw the man live in concert. In the past everytime he has been near to me I have had other commitments but decided that I was going to see him tonight and nothing but nothing would stop me and my am I so glad I did.

The show was opened by an excellent comic Stan Johns who told an array of new gags that I hadn't heard before plus a percentage of ones that stand the test of time although they have been told countless times. Next up was an a stunning vocaliste with an amazing voice - Beverley Savrin who showed off her great vocal range with pop songs including Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" as well as operatic numbers and the powerful "Nessun Dorma". Closing the first half Stan Johns returned to the stage with more of the same from his earlier spot.

From the moment he stepped onto the stage in the second half Max Boyce was at full throttle for an entire 90 minutes gag after gag, story upon story, interspersed with comic songs as well as some more melodic tunes, including the moving "Duw Its Hard" I for one unashamedly welled up. But before long it was all over as Max and the band launched into what has become his anthem "Hymns and Arias".

All I can say is how much I thoroughly enjoyed it  because I was there!

My sincere thanks to Theatre Severn for another excellent show.

No comments:

Post a Comment